Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mao Money, Mao Problems

Time moves fast on the other side of the world. Maybe it has something to do with the time travel that was my flight over here but I can't seem to get on the same page these days. I'm moving quickly but it sure doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere. I'm talking plenty but not saying a word most people can understand--except pijiu (beer.)

This is where I work:

National Stadium aka The Bird's Next. Yesterday my fellow flash quote reporters and I had a scavenger hunt inside the diamond of China's Olympic Crown. The building seats 91,000 people and there's plenty of room to spare. The innovative steel design is breathtaking and I'm sure NBC will have a blast broadcasting it.

I wandered through the tunnel and onto the field and thought what it would be like to be an athlete stepping out to 91,000 screaming people as you get ready to run the race of your life. I got choked up just imagining it.

I also saw some of the rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony. I won't say anything else though. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise (or end up in jail.)

This needed to be posted at some point. Bruce cooling off at the ruins:


Not much else to report. The food's great, the people are many, beer and cigarettes are cheap, and soon enough I won't have time for anything. I got my schedule yesterday. From Friday the 15th until Sunday the 24th I have one single day off, the 20th. The rest shall be days for interviewing athletes and transmitting quotes via Info2008.

I did, however, score the Olympic Gold medal game for Futbol. Not bad. Sure beats Racewalking--which I also landed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ahh im so jealous greg said u get to go to the olympics...not necessarily the being in china part but thats still freaking awesome

Matt Shirley said...

Where's my citation, fatass?

Crysty said...

The 20th was my birthday.

Crysty said...

also there is more to the story of that picture of bruce that either you or bruce let on. I alone have the details.